[pure-silver] Re: Zone Data Project

  • From: <rgacpa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2006 14:07:03 -0700 (PDT)

Well, that's an excellent point and one we could flush out in the design of the
spreadsheet. One idea would be that for each manufacturer, film, and film size
we include multiple techniques if such techniques are submitted. A user of the
spreadsheet could choose or try one to all of the options.

We could also list them in most used to least used if we had, for instance, 4
people using 11 minutes, 2 using 8, and 1 using 10. As I stated before, I'm
open to suggestions on the design of the spreadsheet.

Hope this helps more, Ralph,
Bob

Bob Adler
Palo Alto, CA
http://www.raflexions.com

On 2006-09-22 20:29, "rgacpa@xxxxxxxxxxx" <rgacpa@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

My thought was to develop a spreadsheet that would have tabs organized by
manufacturer. There could be one to many tabs per manufacturer, each tab
representing a different emulsion and negative size (e.g., Kodak-TriX-120,
Kodak-TriX-4x5).

I was not going to try to associate each tab down at the paper/enlarger
specification level, though I was planning to include notes any contributor
wished to provide.

The first step in the project, in my opinion, would be to get consensus, to the
extent possible, on what data each spreadsheet tab should contain.

I hope that answers your question,
Bob

Bob Adler
Palo Alto, CA
http://www.raflexions.com

On 2006-09-22 20:01, "Bob Adler" <rgacpa@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I was wondering if folks on this list would be interested in compiling a
spreadsheet for everyone to share that provided information on film, N(x) ASA,
developer, development time, etc.. I would be willing to park this spreadsheet
on my web host for anyone to download and would keep it current. And of course
this is a purely selfish endeavor as I would love to have the data available
for my own use.

I understand that to be right on the money with use of the zone system, each
emulsion batch should be tested and that there is a lot of judgement in
arriving at the correct ASA and development time. Additionally consistent
development procedures are very important and some emulsion/developers require
very specific and refined technique and measurement to obtain the best result.
That being said, for those of us who can live with the 90 percent rule (obtain
90 percent of the benefit of the zone system with 10 percent of the work), this
would be a great source.

If enough folks think this would be a worthwhile project, I would be happy to
manage it. The best way for me to guage interest would be to categorize listers
into 2 categories; those who would be interested and have data they can
contribute, and those, like myself, who would love to have the data.

So, if you are interested, send me an email reply at :
rgacpa@xxxxxxxxxxx
and indicate whether or not you can contribute data, I'll compile the results.
I'll report back only if there seem to be enough interested folks and enough
contributors.

Thanks,
Bob

Bob Adler