[pure-silver] Re: Wrinkles

  • From: Tim Daneliuk <tundra@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 09 Feb 2010 00:25:48 -0600

On 2/8/2010 8:24 PM, Eric Nelson wrote:
> Afaik I've had no issues resulting from an overnight soak either.
>
> Sometimes one finishes printing much too late to stay up to air dry and
> flatten prints so they have to stay!
> Sometimes I'll toss them on the screens and come back the next day,
> re-wet, dry, and flatten.
> Sometimes they retain enough moisture or are small enough that the
> overnight drying hasn't made them too wrinkled or too dry and I can just
> pop them in the press.

Over the years, I've evolved a technique for minimizing wrinkles that
works pretty well. It doesn't do much for papers that curl, since this
seems to be innate to the paper:

- Wash
- Remove print from washer and *hang* it with clothespins for a few
  minutes.  For smaller prints, I hang them from one corner so the
  water drips to one corner.  For larger prints, I hang them horizontally.

- After 4-5 minutes, I take a dry paper towel and use the corner to wick
  away the water that is clinging to the bottom corner/edge of the
  print.  I repeat this until no more water drops form at the bottom of
  the print.  At this point, the print is damp but will not have standing
  water on the surface when I put it on the drying screen.  It is this
  standing water that seems to be the main culprit for wrinkles.

- Dry on the screen face up (I don't like the thought of any contaminants
  on the screen intruding on the emulsion).  I NEVER squeegee a print or
  roll it as I did years ago.  It's just too easy to damage wet emulsion.

- When dry, I do the final flattening in a dry mounting press.