[pure-silver] Re: Wrinkles

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Feb 2010 16:09:16 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "Myron Gochnauer" <goch@xxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, February 08, 2010 3:32 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Wrinkles

The other option is to leave them in the wash tank/tray overnight but that may or may not be detrimental to the paper and may or may not wash out the optical brighteners.

You can test the effect on optical brighteners by using a UV "black light". I have never had an overnight soak affect the optical brighteners. I'm pretty certain the brighteners will not wash out uniformly. ...after forgetting about a print in the washer for three days, the brightener pattern was ugly-blotchy.

Myron

Not all papers have optical brighteners, they are used in pure white stock but not in tinted stock. However, there are other reasons to avoid long soaks. They tend to damage both the paper fibers and the substrate. At one time such soaks were suggested by some reasonably authoritative writers for achieving archival hypo levels. They were wrong on two counts: one is that such soaks are relatively ineffective for washing and; two, they damage the paper. Washing of double weight paper even without the use of a wash aid is essentially complete in about two hours in running water. The use of a wash aid cuts this by half or more. If paper tends to curl or is not badly cockled it can be made to lie flat by drying it in a dry mounting press. The emulsion side is protected by release paper and the support side is in contact with heavy "kraft" paper or blotter material. The sandwich is placed in the press and the press closed but not locked. About two minutes is enough at a low press temperature. The result is that the support side is dried out while some moisture is retained in the emulsion side. Fiber paper flattened this way will stay flat. This procedure is part of the proper method of dry mounting but can be used for any print. I have run into paper which developed edge frilling after processing. This was mostly AGFA paper. There is no cure for it, the prints have to be made with borders and the frilled edge trimmed off. It has something to do with the manufacture of the paper and seems to be unavoidable. I don't remember ever having this problem with either Kodak or Ilford papers.