[pure-silver] Re: Where's the Silver?

  • From: DarkroomMagic <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: PureSilverNew <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 22:07:15 +0200

We refer to silver-based photography, because the light-sensitive emulsions
of traditional films and papers contain silver-halides suspended in gelatin,
hence the name silver-gelatin photography.

Processing

1. Development
The exposed portion of the silver halide emulsion is reduced to metallic
silver during development. The unexposed portion of the silver halide
emulsion remains and impairs the immediate usefulness of the photograph
until removed in the fixing bath.
2.  Stop
The stop bath is made of either a light acetic or citric acid. It will
neutralize the alkaline developer quickly and bring development to a
complete stop.
3.  Fix
During fixing, the residual silver halide is dissolved by thiosulfate
without damaging the metallic silver image.

Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht