[pure-silver] Re: What happens when XTOL dies

  • From: "Jim MacKenzie" <jim@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 15:26:53 -0600

----- Original Message ----- From: "Justin F. Knotzke" <jknotzke@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, February 27, 2006 8:15 AM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: What happens when XTOL dies

  Because I am all out of Rodinal and the $200 that Rodinal is going
for on Ebay was a little more then I was ready to purchase.. and yes, I
know there are alternatives to Rodinal but I didn't have weeks to wait
for developer to arrive.

You can make Rodinal. It isn't as easy to make as some developers, but you can make large amounts and it keeps for years, so it isn't a big issue.

The formula available isn't precisely what Agfa was making of late, but it is very similar (and in fact truer to what Agfa used to make a long time ago) and I expect that you'd find it to be a good product. Give it a try.

Kalbe makes a developer (R09 if memory serves) that is essentially Rodinal, too. It can be gotten reasonably easily by mail order, even in North America.

Jim