[pure-silver] Re: Weird Film Issue

  • From: "BOB KISS" <bobkiss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 May 2012 08:06:38 -0400

DEAR RICHARD,
        Please give us your take on this:  I know that pin holes occur from
the interaction of a carbonate (e.g. sodium) with acid, like the acetic acid
stop bath, but I also thought that this we very temperature dependent.  When
using a developer-stop bath process, I have always processed at 68-70 F and
have never experienced pin holes with the 8 different films I have used over
the years.  I mostly use PMK with a water rinse and this is a non issue with
this dev but there are times I want the effect of other devs.
        I recall a student who said that I was being compulsive to insist
that he process at 68-70 F using D-76 and stop bath.  He said he didn't want
to spend the time and money keeping his darkroom cool and cooling the solns
before processing.  He insisted that he could just adjust the dev times and
process at 80 F or higher.  Well, his rolls of 120 negs looked like they had
been shot with birdshot...so many tiny clear holes, they were all ruined.  A
rather expensive lesson he will never forget.
                CHEERS!
                        BOB