[pure-silver] Re: Update: .... Re: Problem with 2 tray hypo (fixer).

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2009 19:21:12 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bogdan Karasek" <bkarasek@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, December 16, 2009 3:32 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] Update: .... Re: Problem with 2 tray hypo (fixer).

Hi all,

Still a mystery but I followed up on several suggestions.

First off, I took the last two prints that went through the soup and pulled at random 5 more out the the 30 8x10's that went through. I then tested using a 1:9 solution of Selenium, 2-3 drops on the border of each print... 3-4 minute wait, no staining. Paper is perfectly clear, you can't tell where the drops of KRST were. So I assume that Fixer I, and Fixer II, despite its amber colour, did their work and are not exhausted.

To facilitate the KRST test at the end of a printing run, I made a small solution to fit into a clean ink bottle and got several syringes from the pharmacy to distribute the drops. Question is, how long can the solution keep like that? Should it maybe be stored a a brown lab bottle?

The other thing that I did was to buy 6 gallons of domestic bleach and poured the stuff into the two fixer, stop, and 2 developer trays.

So no closer to an explanation.

And a big thanks to all who helped out.

Cheers,
Bogdan

The KRST test solution has an indefinite life. Eventually, the thiosulfate in it probably oxidizes but the same thing as a toner will keep for months if not years if kept in a sealed bottle. I don't think its light sensitive. As long as its used on washed prints or film its reliable. If there is a lot of thiosulfate in the emulsion it may not stain even if there is also residual silver. I think this is the reason Kodak stopped recommending the test.