[pure-silver] Re: Update On APX 25 Ortho Print Through

  • From: "bobkiss @caribsurf.com" <bobkiss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2015 10:37:45 -0400

DEAR RICHARD,
You may recall that I recently posted that I had this same problem
(frame #s from backing paper printing onto the film) with Ilford film
supplied to me by an Ilford Tech Rep whom, one might have assumed, would
have tested film before giving it out!
I have been accused of being a "poster boy" for Kodak because I have
complimented their excellent record on quality control but facts are
facts. Even though I liked the image quality of some Ilford materials
better than some Kodak materials, as an NYC advertising and fashion
photographer who worked on both coasts of the US as well as Europe and
Brazil, I could not afford to risk another important photo session on the
difference in quality control.
CHEERS!
BOB

On Tue, Jul 7, 2015 at 10:39 PM, `Richard Knoppow <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Whew, I was worried about that:-) I have a dim memory that this
problem happened in the past but can't remember for certain which brand of
film it was. It was probably at least twenty years ago. Its possible
there is a thread on it in some archive. I have not looked yet but will.
It seems to be rare even with very old film.

On 7/7/2015 7:33 PM, Tim Daneliuk wrote:

I developed a couple of rolls of APX 25 Ortho today - One, out of the box,
one, transported through a Hasselblad A12 with no exposure.

Both showed signs of print through. This seems to vindicate Richard
Knoppow's contention that this is an ink/backing paper issue, not a
roller transport
or exposure-related problem. So, this would point to a manufacturing
defect that isn't a consequence of use, magazine pressure, or other
after-the-fact artifact.

Interesting.

WB6KBL