[pure-silver] Re: Tri-X in XTOL

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Dec 2009 14:02:36 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "Elias Roustom" <elroustom@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, December 26, 2009 12:26 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] Tri-X in XTOL

My developing chart that comes with the XTOL data has a column for "Format". Plus-X for example gets two different rows, one each for 135 and 120. Some films come with a row with 135/120 in the format column. So I'm a bit confused - since I know Kodak likes to be very specific - when I see Tri-X 400 only has 135 in the Format column. Should I assume the same times for 135 and 120?

Thanks,

Elias

Times for 35mm and roll films of the same type may be somewhat different. I am not sure what causes this. It may be an assumption Kodak is making about the amount of solution in the tank or it may have something to do with the overcoating of the films, which can affect the "induction time" of development. In some older films you can see differences in the characteristic curves for the same brand of film in different sizes.