[pure-silver] Re: Tri-X in XTOL

  • From: Richard Knoppow <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 27 Dec 2009 03:14:04 -0800 (GMT-08:00)

-----Original Message-----

     Some general comments:
     Xtol was formulated so that it would dissolve in warm water, perhaps
around 90F. It should not take very hot water to get it to dissolve. Generally,
125F is the recommended temperature for mixing developers and many other
photographic solutions.
     I am not sure if Xtol can be replenished when diluted 1:1, there are other
developers that can be (DK-50 for example) there should be information in the
data sheet (which I don't have here). Xtol is is replenished by adding
developer, it does not need a separate replenisher.
     Replenished developers may not be best for pushing. The developer
accumulates bromide and iodide from the developed film, both of which are
restrainers. However, Phenidone is less sensitive to bromide and iodide than
metol or M-H developers.
     While Xtol has chemicals in it to sequester metallic salts in the water it
may be advantageous to use distilled water or at least boiled water. The first
part may require more time to dissolve than its being given. Most solutions
require constant stirring to dissolve (but don't beat air into them).
      D-76 is notorious for leaving some residual crystals undissolved. I have
no idea what these are but the developer seems to work fine anyway. However. I
would let the developer stand for several hours, then decant the clear part and
toss the rest or filter it through coffee filters or cotton.
      Re-used developer should be filtered occasionally anyway to remove any
gelatin residue which may accumulate.
      Xtol is reportedly being used successfully in photofinishing machines, if
so it indicates that replenishing will give consistent results.