[pure-silver] Re: The NYPD Harasses a Photographer at Coney Island

  • From: Eric Nelson <emanmb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2008 17:13:41 -0700 (PDT)

Near HK in Zhou Hai, a world away in some ways but
close geographically, I was watching the news which
was in Chinese and coming from HK.

At some points during the broadcast, they would switch
to a still of a pastoral scene and soft music while
the "offending" story was running.  Once it completed,
they'd go back to allowing viewers to see the news
again.

As far as the VV story goes, it sounded more like the
cop trying to keep the peace in dealing w/loud mouthed
yobs working themselves into a frenzy than an
oppressive censorious situation.  But the cop did take
the easy way out.

Back to China;  in my limited view of the country, I
was never approached or watched or followed while
carrying all my analog gear and a video camera.. and I
pointed them where ever I wanted.  I guess I was
lucky?

I have found people in China and other Asian countries
are a lot nicer to deal with in terms of photography
than folks in my home country at times.  The VV story
seems to illustrate that nicely.

This link illustrates a couple of my fortunately
uneventful experiences in the top 2 photos.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/75409962@N00/

Eric