[pure-silver] Re: The NYPD Harasses a Photographer at Coney Island

  • From: Sauerwald Mark <mark_sauerwald@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2008 15:58:08 -0700 (PDT)

I listen to the podcast 'Search Engine' published by the CBC in which they look
at how internet technology is influencing society.  In their most recent
edition, they went to China to see how much freedom there was there and the
bottom line was that there was a huge degree of freedom granted to bloggers and
web site designers - they saw some examples of how the 'great firewall of
China' filtered web content etc.  The host made the comment that the only times
that he felt the strong presence of police was when he took out a camera in
public - and added that he didn't think that it was much worse than what one
gets in New York City.

This article seems to confirm that rather than globalization being responsible
for our bringing freedom and liberty to an oppressed world, we are bringing
oppression to the formerly free world.