[pure-silver] Re: The NYPD Harasses a Photographer at Coney Island

  • From: Sauerwald Mark <mark_sauerwald@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2008 16:14:16 -0700 (PDT)

--- On Tue, 6/17/08, KironKid@xxxxxxx <KironKid@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> From: KironKid@xxxxxxx <KironKid@xxxxxxx>
> Subject: [pure-silver] Re: The NYPD Harasses a Photographer at Coney I
>
> As we speak, the Chinese government is patrolling Everest
> basecamp, and
> confiscating any and most media devices (cell phones,
> cameras,  laptops, etc), in
> an effort to censor what the outside world sees and hears.
> They've shut down
> the Tibetan and Chinese sides too.
>
> Kiron Kid

No argument that the Chinese government has a long way to go before we consider
China an open and free country.  However as someone who lived in Hong Kong
during the cultural revolution, I have seen a lot of good progress on the part
of the Chinese in the past 3 decades. At the same time I have seen a lot of
regression in our own standards for openness and  freedom.