[pure-silver] Re: Teaching photography.

  • From: anclancy@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 17:23:27 +0000

she is teaching in the "south" for awhile, i don't rememeber it was Auburn or
CLemson. One of the two.
I have been teaching since 1960, photography since the mid 70. Students range
from 11 year old to 70 year old folks. sometimes in the same class.

You teach photography as you would any other subject matter; or at least I do.
Break it down starting with the more basic needs and information and then
progress upward. I am a big believer in starting with A, then moving to B, etc.
Not with A, then jump to MNOP.

We begin with the basic camera controls, exposure, metering, etc. THen move on
to film and darkroom basics.
This all depends on the type of class.

Students are given assignments with weekly review of those assignments (basic
photography only)
Darkroom class cover all the necessary basics that one would expect and
additional more advance classes are offered each session. I am in the darkroom
with them to offer help and on going evalution of their printing skills.

Students move at their own pace and the materials covered refect their needs.

Some students drop in for one session, some have been working with me for 3 to
4 years.

Beginning students focus on developing negatives, basic printing skills.

Advanced people have already done workshops ranging from film testing to
determine personal EI, various developers and film combinations;
experimentation with various papers/developers. Toning basic and exotic toners
as well.

Presentation and mounting are included in all classes.

I don't find this an impossible task rather a incredible journey.

We have a whole series of books available including those mentioned in other
others that I really like, but it is going to depend on the students
relationship to the more technical side of photography whether or not I suggest
them. Of course there is Ansel Adams series, then Way Beyond Monochrome a more
recent publication.

Interesting question.

regards,
ann