[pure-silver] Re: Strorage life of diluted fixer?

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 16:13:04 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Matthew Gaylen" <mgaylen@xxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, September 23, 2004 2:44 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Strorage life of diluted fixer?

> $4 million a year? Now that's a lot of film processing.
>
> Just imagine how things will change when things go digital
> in that industry.
>
> dang...
>
> It staggers the mind... How many miles of film would you
> have to process in a year to recover $4 million dollars
> worth of silver?
>

> On Thursday, September 23, 2004, at 04:18PM, Richard
> Knoppow <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

    BTW, I am not so sure how soon the movie industry will
switch over to digital. While there are many who see many
advantages in digital release the cost to the individual
theater is currently enormous. Digital would have a number
of advantages for distribution, not least of which would be
better security against piracy. Piracy is currently, and has
been for years, a very major concern in the industry. I have
no doubt that digital distribution is the way of the future
but I suspect it will not be immediate unless some of the
costs involved are substantially reduced.
    I think it is always dangerous to predict the future of
technology because all such predictions are based on the
extension of present knowledge. some breakthough may be in
the process of happening right now which will turn this over
completely.

---