[pure-silver] Re: Strorage life of diluted fixer?

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 13:54:58 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Koch, Gerald" <gkoch02@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, September 23, 2004 9:55 AM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Strorage life of diluted fixer?

> Not particularly bad but not good either.  However, the
> amount released by the
> average photo hobbyist is probably not a problem.
> Photolabs are another matter.
>
> The sulfur compounds in fixer make it similar to the
> effluent from paper mills.
> These compounds scavenge oxygen and if large amounts find
> their way into rivers
> or streams can kill fish and other aquatic creatures.
> Kodak was/is one of the
> major polluters of the Hudson river.

   I just talked to Deluxe Labs, one of the largest motion
picture labs. They told me they recover better than 99% of
the silver in their processing, about $4,000,000 worth a
year. They also regenerate all processing solutions and
recycle about 90% of wash water.
   I suspect their effluent is purer than the stuff they get
from the city.

---