[pure-silver] Re: Strorage life of diluted fixer?

  • From: Ryuji Suzuki <rs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 01:22:19 -0400 (EDT)

From: Lloyd Erlick <lloyd@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Strorage life of diluted fixer?
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 12:29:33 -0400

> Fixer itself is composed of sodium thiosulfate, sodium sulfite and
> distilled water (if it comes from my darkroom, anyway). None of
> these substances is particularly bad.

Anything wasteful is usually worse to the environment than
non-wasteful counterpart.

> Thus, using fixer moderately and avoiding the higher concentrations
> of silver compounds avoids the creation of the worst of the silver
> compounds.  Thus, single-shot or perhaps single-session use of fixer
> could be a good thing for darkroom workers to do for the
> environment.

Not really. Toxicology of silver compounds are well studied and you
should review the literature if interested. Silver compounds in
effluence of small darkrooms are not of concern.

Cadmium and mercury used in old emulsions may be harmful, but they are
not of current concern anyway.
--
Ryuji Suzuki
"Keep a good head and always carry a light camera."