[pure-silver] Re: Print Flattening Metal Plate

  • From: `Richard Knoppow <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2017 15:58:39 -0800

   The dry press maker made them.  (drawing blanks on names because of a very bad cold. They were aluminum, one for the bottom and another with handles on it for the top. I never saw any used but they might be out there. Sheet metal is very expensive and I don't know a good source. My guess is that even quarter inch thick would be enough.
    I used to do a lot of dry mounting and used sheets of particle board.  Doesn't dissipate heat fast enough and is heavy but cheaper than aluminum.
    Even those who do not want to dry mount can use the print flattening process from it for fiber based prints and probably any paper print. Once flattened using the dry mounting press and flattening boards it never curls again.
    I think I use a processes similar to yours. I use archival smooth finish mounting boards as cushions in the press, drying them out first under light pressure (weight of the press without locking it). I have also used blotter paper dried the same way.
   Then print goes between sheets of cushion paper with a sheet of dry mounting tissue on the emulsion side (may not be needed for some alt prints). Under the press with light pressure for about three minutes. The whole package, layers of cushion paper, print, tissue, go under the flat weight until cool. Print comes out flat and stays that way.

On 12/27/2017 3:41 PM, Adrienne Moumin wrote:

Happy Holidays, everyone!

I am looking for a metal plate for print flattening post-drymounting.

I'm in the planning stages of mounting 24 8x10 prints in an array of 4 high x 6 wide, for a total image size of 39" x 44". I am mounting on a sheet of 4-ply Rising mat board. So I will need something to quickly flatten and cool each section as I pull the entire behemoth out of my 16x20 press. I've done smaller mounted photo collages before, but I will need to move fast with this one.

I vaguely remember some sort of flat lead(?) plates, with all 4 sides up-fluted for easy grabbing, meant for exactly this purpose. Perhaps I don't know the right search terms, or perhaps such things went out with the Model T.

This is the closest I have found, but it's pretty expensive for the large size.

http://www.talasonline.com/Paper-Weights

I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas or leads for what I'm seeking?

With advance thanks,

Adrienne

/Adrienne Moumin
Handmade B&W photographs and photo collages:/ http:// <http://picturexhibit.com>picturexhibit.com <http://picturexhibit.com>