[pure-silver] Re: Practical print sizes

  • From: <mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2012 09:18:30 -0700

Brooks Jensen of Lens Work is a fan of the smaller prints and portfolios.  There is just something about being able to hold a print in your hand.  I HATE the metric system.  Yeah I know most of the world thinks in metric, and I understand that.  Yeah I have used it and know everything works in 10s and lots of people think in metric.  I just can't and every time I have to go do the conversion, I never can remember is it 24.5 or 25.4 lol  I suspect there are just as many out there that hate inches too.

As far as print sizes there are a couple of factors.  Viewing distance is a big key.  Billboards are often done with relatively small file sizes or in the film days with 35mm negatives.  It could be done because they were being viewed from hundreds of yards away.  I have a print on my wall that is 30 x 40 inches I did as a test. (about 76 to 101)  Though the detail is starting to break down up close, backing away to be able to really see the entire print seems to fix that.  Considering that print was done with a little up scaling and a 6mp digital camera, it isn't bad at all.

What is practical is another question.  Up to about 18 x 24 inches (45x60cm roughly) I have had little problem with frames.  Much above that finding frame stores with mats in stock and frames that will fit become an issue. Building a frame that big then involves getting either plexiglass that will not break or glass thick enough that the flex that is likely in a frame that size will not break it.  You could use stand outs and gallery wraps, but that is not cheap either.  For me display space and cost are as much of a factor in how big I want to go.  I am also becoming more and more a fan of photo books.