[pure-silver] Re: Practical print sizes

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2012 17:26:53 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ken Sinclair" <photo1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, March 06, 2012 1:16 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Practical print sizes

Speedy,

Many moons ago... (probably more moons to which I might be willing
to admit), my mentor
'taught me' that the proper viewing distance (from which to view a
print) was a function of
focal length of the lens through which the negative was exposed,
multiplied by the linear
enlargement of that negative.

This is correct assuming no significant cropping and if the desire is to have a viewing angle that is equal to the camera's. This might be important for eliminating the "distortion" of wide angle lenses, or it might be of no importance. When the image on the retina of the eye is large enough, and matches the viewing angle of the eye, the effect can be nearly three-dimensional. OTOH, the purpose of a photo is not always to be scientifically correct.

Los Angeles
WB6KBL