[pure-silver] Re: Practical print sizes

  • From: Ken Sinclair <photo1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2012 14:16:59 -0700

Speedy,

Many moons ago... (probably more moons to which I might be willing to admit), my mentor 'taught me' that the proper viewing distance (from which to view a print) was a function of focal length of the lens through which the negative was exposed, multiplied by the linear
enlargement of that negative.

Personally, I have observed that too many of the prints exhibited in commercial galleries have been over-enlarged for the space allowed for the viewer to appreciate the proper 'perspective' to be appreciated. I would rather stand in front of a contact print and enjoy the observable detail, the smoothness of the tones at the 'correct' viewing distance. I am not adverse to seeing others 'doing the same' even though it may 'interfere' with my viewing for a few minutes... as long as
I can get my time to observe and enjoy.... and often 'lust'.

Historically, it seems that 'the bigger the art... the better the art'. When it comes to photographic
prints... I am not convinced.

I'm not yet convinced that any and all images really need to "own the wall" in order to be enjoyed. One only has to visit the Louvre, in France, to see the crowds standing in front of Leonardo da
Vinci's Mona Lisa, that is only about 20 x 30 inches.

Ken

On 6-Mar-12, at 12:57 PM, Speedy wrote:

Quoting St. Ansel:

[snip]

Photographers as a group are "salon-minded," making prints too large and too consistently of the same size regardless of the more subtle inherent qualities of the subject and its treatment. They are concerned more wit the conventional response of salon juries than they are with their own personal creative expression." (from Graphic Graflex Photography copyright 1947 by Morgan and Lester. Page 74)

St. Speedy (me) says that you choose your film format based on the size of the potential print. You choose your print size based on the needs of the story your image is to portray. Bigger is NOT always better, but a hard and fast rule, if there is one should be broken regularly as needed.

Good Light!
Speedy