[pure-silver] Re: Potassium Bromide and chlorhydroquinone

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2008 21:35:15 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Don Sweet" <don@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, April 08, 2008 7:51 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Potassium Bromide and chlorhydroquinone

A few weeks ago there was a discussion on this list about the possible use of chlorhydroquinone as an anti-fogging developer for old paper, if only you could find some. Since then I have found there is a recipe for "Maxim Muir's Chlorhydroquinone-Substitute Developer" on page 174 of Carson Graves' book The Elements of Black and White Printing (2ed), which provides a work-around for the chlorhydroquinone shortage if anyone is interested.
Don Sweet

I have never seen anything in the scientific literature on photography indicating that chlorhydroquinone had any fog supressing effect. Some developing agents are better at not creating developer fog than others without the use of fog suppressants. In emulsion research non-organic metallic developers are somtimes used for this reason but they are not practical for general use. The fog in old paper comes from other sources than the fog produced by a developer without an anti-foggant. I would not bother to track down an obscure and expensive chemical just to experiment with it. Chlorhydroquinone was mostly used for warm tone developers but is considered inferior to other reducing agents which is why it was never much exploited.

---