[pure-silver] Re: Photography Is A Crime (Epilogue?)

  • From: Elias_Roustom <elroustom@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2010 15:39:10 -0400

No Bogdan, don't fall for the pessimism that was brought on by this discussion.

Common sense and good manners will make your trip a wonderful one.
I've never had trouble taking photos in Boston. It's expected. It's tourist town. Don't go to the Federal building and start taunting the cops that you have every right to take photos.

I think that's the whole point here. Those activists in the video that started this whole thing got what they were looking for.
You can find that in Canada if you want to.

Come to Massachusetts, enjoy yourself, and shoot lots of film. Boston and Cambridge are wonderful cities, the sights are great, the food is world class, the museums are as good as anywhere in the world, and you can get around easily without a car.

Have a great trip,

Elias

On Jul 6, 2010, at 2:39 PM, Bogdan wrote:

Hi,

I have a problem understanding certain things..,. People openly carry guns, it is their right but photographers gets hassled for carrying a camera and taking pictures. What's wrong with this picture?

To listen to the chatter around this subject, I feel i should best leave my cameras at home when I go to Boston this week. What's the point if I am going to get hassled by the police or security guards igf I take a picture of the Harvard Quad or the Charles river. I mean , how do I know what's what, what can i photograph , what can't I photograph. There are no more rules. it is discretionary. once it is discretionary, the Rule of LAW has ended. :(

Here, I don't have that problem. I carry a copy of the Canadian Charters of Rights and Liberties in my camera bag and read the pertinent articles to the police if they bother me. I can even refuse to identitfy myself because we are not required to carry obligatory ID's. Again, I invoke the Charter. I cannot be arrested for refusing to identify myself (Driving is a different issue.). A judge told me that it was my sacred right and the police had no right to bother me. Either you have that liberty or you don't. It shouldn't be at the discretion of one person with a badge . I show the document to the police and they know that I know what I am talking about. I did teach the Charter in my Ethics course so I know it backwards. They hassle me, it goes to the police Ethics Board and any judge will back me up. I hope this isn't considered OT but it is a photography issue and close to my heart.

Cheers,
Bogdan

On 7/6/2010 1:44 PM, BOB KISS wrote:

And, if in maintaining “quiet beat” the law enforcement officials arbitrarily exercise their power contrary to the law or abuse their power, it is our obligation as citizens to at least correct the problem by seeing that the officers involved are better educated in applicable laws or, in extreme cases, prosecuted if their actions contravene the law.