[pure-silver] Re: Photography Is A Crime (Epilogue?)

  • From: "Bob Younger" <ryounger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2010 12:02:46 -0700

Bogdan,

I think you should take your cameras and photograph the things you want to
photograph. This discussion has centered on exceptions; not the rule. There
is a 99% probability that you'll have complete freedom to photograph
whatever you want. If that weren't the case, camera manufacturers and
tourist agencies would be up in arms. Furthermore, most of us wouldn't have
the photographs in our portfolios that we do if every time we unpacked the
camera to take a picture we got stopped. If you do get stopped, be polite,
explain who you are and why you photograph. I've found that having a few
photos in a notebook along, showing the kind of work I do, has helped on
occasion; but not always. I've sometimes been able to reach a compromise,
such as asking what in the area was "sensitive," and promising not to
photograph it (such as the power plant at Hoover Dam....but everything else
was ok). I do keep a copy of the photographer's rights with me; but to date
that's not been very helpful. Most law enforcement do not in fact at that
point in time give a rat's *&$^ what the law actually says. I suppose if I
was ever actually detained it might be useful in discussions with more
senior officials.

But, take your cameras and film, and enjoy the trip. It will in all
likelihood be without incident. And of course, post a note and let us know
how your trip went.

Bob Younger

  _____