[pure-silver] Re: Organizational Assistance NEEDED

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2004 15:15:50 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Starr" <davestarr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, November 02, 2004 2:20 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Organizational Assistance NEEDED

> On Tue, 2 Nov 2004 14:15:51 -0600, "Jim MacKenzie"
> <jim@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>

>>Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Organizational Assistance
>>NEEDED
>>

>>>I picked a number at random as a starting file number -
>>>2107.  Every
>>> roll after that increments by one.
>>
>>What's wrong with starting at 0001?  :)
>
> Nothing, really.  25 years ago when I started the filing
> system, I
> didn't want any paying customers to think I was a rank
> beginner.  I
> didn't want to deliver a print with 0001-0001 on the back.
> :-)

   I use a very simple system. I use the date in yy-mm-dd
form plus alphebetical letter for roll film and numbers for
sheet film. For example, if I shot rolls today they would be
041102-A, b, c, etc, plus the frame numbers if I am using a
database. Sheets would be 041102-1, 2, 3, etc.
   A computer database can sort entries by any field it has
data for but physical filing can be done in many ways. I
suspect the most usual are by date or subject. If you are
doing commmercial work the latter is probably a good plan.
   Currently I store negatives of all sizes in archival
plastic negative sheets which are then kept in large
loose-leaf binders. A better method if you have a lot of
negatives is probably to file them in a regular office
filing cabinet using folders. The negatives or
transparencies being in plastic holders. There are a great
many permutations of this depending on what you photograph.
   If you use a computer database or spreadsheet program as
the main index I strongly suggest making a hard copy version
also.
---