[pure-silver] Re: On stand developing of Ilford PanF

  • From: <genej2@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 14:59:27 -0400

I wonder if there's anything special about the Efke 25 that lends itself to no
agititation development.  So far, on both 120 and 4x5, I've seen no wierdness
at all. I havent done any pictures with a really bright sky against shadows
though.  I'll watch for that.  Maybe do it on purpose to see.

Gene

> From: "John Black" <jblack@xxxxxxxxx>
> Date: 2005/09/14 Wed PM 12:39:48 EDT
> To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: [pure-silver] Re: On stand developing of Ilford PanF
>

> Some nice effects can be obtained: the prints (13*18 cm) are grainless, and
> have a special quality, on one hand the DOF with 40 asa film, hand held is
> quite small, but there is a also something with the contrast: it looks to me
> that the midtones are "streched out" at the expense of shadow separation,
> and the highlights get blown out easy, so on first glance the prints look
> high contrast, but OTOH the midtones separate quite nice. For example my
> kids have some minor freckles which realy gets exaggerated in the prints..
>

> Stand development works quite well with little tendency to streak if more
> neutral developers are used such as Xtol at 1+5 or 1+7 for 30-45 min.
> Rodinal is very high pH and, even diluted, tends to be too reactive in
> highly exposed areas.
>
> I have a friend that uses stand development exclusively with everything from
> 35mm up to 4X5 with great success. He uses a very dilute, low sulfite
> (5gm/L) PC developer at pH 8.3 and has no streaking problems.  His times
> vary from 30-60 minutes depending on the film and EI.
>
> JB
>
> PS- I use semi-stand (is that like semi-pregnant?) where I agitate for the
> first 30 sec and then one inversion very gently every 3-4 min thereafter
> using the same developer and about half the times he does.
>
> JB

Be Just And Fear Not