[pure-silver] Old Paper Results

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2005 21:15:35 -0700

As a result of a question posted to rec.photo.darkroom I decided to dig out and test some very old paper I have. The samples were of Kodak Medalist and Agfa Brovira. None of the packages has an expiration date but I've had them for at least ten years and probably bought them as out dated paper then. All packates were opened years ago and have had no special storage.
To make a long story short both boxes of Medalist and the Brovira work fine and probably look as good as they did new. Its possible the Medalist has lost some contrast but my memory of it is that it was a somewhat soft looking paper originally. The Brovira has full contrast. I have even more Agfa paper in storage and will have to get it out. About the only old Agfa paper I had trouble with came from a flooded basement and was blotchy, obviously moisture had gotten in. Otherwise the stuff seems to last forever.
I have not had such good luck with old Kodak paper and stopped buying outdated paper about the time I got the Medalist. Mostly the bad paper was Polycontrast which had very low contrast for all filters, evidently, the high contrast emulsion component had lost substantial sensitivity. It made good drawing paper.
I also found I have two unopened boxes of Oriental Seagull paper, also at least ten years old but bought new at the time. I have not tested this yet and will report when I do.

Processing of the above was conventional. I used Agfa Neutol Plus, an ascorbic acid (and probably Phenidone) developer without any added anti-fog.
I also used this occasion to test the Kodak Enlarging Ektar I picked up a couple of weeks ago. This is a 75mm lens. Its very sharp, as good as my Schneider Componon, not bad for $10 :-)

---