[pure-silver] Re: Old Paper Results

  • From: DarkroomMagic <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: PureSilverNew <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2005 17:17:17 +0200

Richard

Please explain. This note isn't as fact-filled as your typical notes. These
test results sound rather vague. 'probably as good as new' and 'somewhat
soft looking', or even 'has full contrast' don't sound like a test results
but mere observations without measurable evidence.

I did conduct a test to determine the effect of paper age on contrast a few
years ago. These were made on a variety of papers, I had for up to ten years
and they were stored at 5 degC. Their contrast was measured every two years.
The study wasn't very scientific either, but it produced numerical values,
which were compared and found to be consistent. The result was as follows:

1. All papers get softer with age.
2. Some papers are more stable than others
3. The effect is significant an averages about 1/2 grade over 3 years.
4. The effect can be compensated with filtration as long as max contrast is
not required.

I think it is fair to assume that paper stored at room temperature would see
a higher loss of contrast in the same amount of time.

Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht

http://www.darkroomagic.com