[pure-silver] Re: Odd Problem With Mamiya TLR

  • From: Tim Daneliuk <tundra@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 16:16:40 -0600

On 2/15/2010 3:51 PM, Eric Nelson wrote:
> I haven't taken it out, except today, for years as the 40 and 80 on my
> blad tend to be more in line with my shooting 'style' and I only have
> the 135mm for the C22.  The C22 was my entry into medium format many
> years ago.  I mostly used it in the studio.
> Pix were always sharp with the C22 but I never made a direct comparison.

Not only are the 'Blad lenses sharper, but they hold contrast a lot
better under nasty lighting situations like shooting into a light
source or into specular highlights. With the latest V-Series lenses - the
CF and CFi - I rather think they are the best MF lenses ever made by
mankind - at least for mere mortals who don't have government tax
money to spend on esoteric optics.

But... we're talking about very small incremental improvement on
already superb lenses. The advent of cheap microprocessors really
revolutionized lens design because it enabled bleeding edge
mathematical approaches that would have been impossible to do with
hand calculations.  Thus, today's lenses from *everyone* are really
good. I've compared 11x14s shot with the 'Blad and a Fuji GA-645Zi and
I cannot tell the difference reliably ... and the Fuji costs less than
any of my 'Blad lenses :)