[pure-silver] Re: OT: Color IQ Test

  • From: Jean-David Beyer <jeandavid8@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 08:04:41 -0500

Peter Badcock wrote:
Thanks Bob and Jean-David for your real life examples requiring top notch colour acuity.

Jean-David, was it impractical to have the (chips from the) Munsell <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Munsell_color_system> Book of Color on hand when studying the picture coding for digital TV transmissions. Fancy having to memorise 4000 different colour chips !

Not possible. These tests had to be done in the dark, and the Munsell
Book of Color had to be viewed in (artificial) daylight. I.e., we could
have the book there, but we could not see it.  One (but only one) of the
things we investigated was E.H.Land's 2-primary color that he once
proposed. It does sort of work, but only in the very dim* light; i.e.,
conditions that people would never tolerate when watching television or
Picturephone like devices.

_____
* At the boundary between photopic and scotopic light. (Actually, there
is no sharp boundary and they overlap a lot; it is very complicated.)

 ^^-^^ 07:50:01 up 4 days, 14:24, 0 users, load average: 4.32, 4.30, 4.28