[pure-silver] Re: No More Below the Lens Polymax Filter Kits?

  • From: Tim Daneliuk <tundra@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2009 11:49:03 -0600

Jean-David Beyer wrote:
> Tim Daneliuk wrote:
>> Steven Kershaw wrote:
>>> John,
>>>
>>> I too have been looking at ZONE VI enlargers. Care to share your
>>> "reasons"
>>> for not recommending them with me as well?  You can do so off list,
>>> my email
>>> is listed below
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Steven
>>> stevendidit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>>
>> I have used a ZoneVI VC head on my ancient push-up Omega D2 for years.
>> (I bought mine within a few years of the head being introduced.)
>> I am *very* happy with this head and have printed some beautiful
>> stuff with it.  That said, some observations are in order:
>>
>> 1) It does have fairly low light output.  At most magnifications
>>    this isn't a big deal.  I like plenty of time to dodge and burn
>>    while I split print anyway.  However, at high magnifications and
>>    especially with slow papers, you can start to get into paper
>>    reciprocity failure.  I have some 16x20s that take up to 100sec
>>    of exposure for part of the printing recipe.  It doesn't
>>    happen that often that I consider it much of a burden.  Moreover,
>>    I use top of the line Schneider enlarging lenses that are tack
>>    sharp even at f/8 ot f/5.6 so I overcome some this by opening
>>    up the lens.
>>
>> 2) The head output does vary as it warms up.  For this reason, I turn it
>>    on 30-45 min before I want to use it and check the light output with
>>    a Luna-Pro on the easel as I go.  Once warmed up, the head does not
>>    appear to drift appreciably.
>>
>> 3) There is a plug in the head to take the ZVI compensating time that
>>    measures actual light output and compensates for it.
>
> Not on my unit; the design must have changed from time-to-time. It should

It must have - I just checked to make sure, and there is definitely a
socket on the top of the head.

> not need one as the two tubes (green and blue) have the electronics of the
> compensating timer built in to stabilize them. The green one does not seem
> to have enough gain, so it does not stabilize no matter how long the
> unit is
> turned on. It will stabilize if you turn that green tube on for a few
> minutes, but it cools off very fast, so if you expose a print and process
> it, the green tube will have cooled off enough that it is no longer
> stibilized. The warming you get when composing and focusing the next print
> is not enough to warm it up enough to regulate. I find this very
> annoying. I
> suspect, but do not know, that the unit does not have a
> hermostatically-controlled heater in it. Also, I do not believe that the
> photocells that observe the light output from the tubes are filtered;
> When I
> vary one tube's brightness, the light output from the other changes
> (slightly).

I have not observed any of these problems.  Then again, other than
contact sheets, I split print *everything*.  Doing so eliminates
a lot of this kind of variability.  So, my head may have some or
all of the problems you cite, I just don't run into it.

>> Is it the best head known to mankind? I have no idea. I have learned
>> the quirks of this head and gotten really good results and it has
>> served me faithfully for the better part of a decade now. It is -
>> pardon the expression - light years better than anything Adams,
>> Weston, Aget, Brassai, et al had at their disposal and they managed to
>> make a good print or two. IOW - IMHO - buy the tool you can
>> get/afford, learn to use it until you have mastery over the device and
>> don't worry about equipment as much as printmaking. YMMV.
>>
> "Poor tools require better skills." Marcel Duchamp.

More like *different* skills, I'd say.  In any case, I am not terribly
interested in the equipment and far more so in the resultant prints.