[pure-silver] Re: No More Below the Lens Polymax Filter Kits?

  • From: Tim Daneliuk <tundra@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2009 10:39:49 -0600

Steven Kershaw wrote:
> John,
>
> I too have been looking at ZONE VI enlargers. Care to share your "reasons"
> for not recommending them with me as well?  You can do so off list, my email
> is listed below
>
> Thanks
>
> Steven
> stevendidit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I have used a ZoneVI VC head on my ancient push-up Omega D2 for years.
(I bought mine within a few years of the head being introduced.)
I am *very* happy with this head and have printed some beautiful
stuff with it.  That said, some observations are in order:

1) It does have fairly low light output.  At most magnifications
   this isn't a big deal.  I like plenty of time to dodge and burn
   while I split print anyway.  However, at high magnifications and
   especially with slow papers, you can start to get into paper
   reciprocity failure.  I have some 16x20s that take up to 100sec
   of exposure for part of the printing recipe.  It doesn't
   happen that often that I consider it much of a burden.  Moreover,
   I use top of the line Schneider enlarging lenses that are tack
   sharp even at f/8 ot f/5.6 so I overcome some this by opening
   up the lens.

2) The head output does vary as it warms up.  For this reason, I turn it
   on 30-45 min before I want to use it and check the light output with
   a Luna-Pro on the easel as I go.  Once warmed up, the head does not
   appear to drift appreciably.

3) There is a plug in the head to take the ZVI compensating time that
   measures actual light output and compensates for it.

Is it the best head known to mankind? I have no idea. I have learned
the quirks of this head and gotten really good results and it has
served me faithfully for the better part of a decade now. It is -
pardon the expression - light years better than anything Adams,
Weston, Aget, Brassai, et al had at their disposal and they managed to
make a good print or two. IOW - IMHO - buy the tool you can
get/afford, learn to use it until you have mastery over the device and
don't worry about equipment as much as printmaking. YMMV.