[pure-silver] Re: New Darkroom New Question

  • From: Jim Brick <jim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2005 17:28:01 -0800

At 07:40 AM 10/24/2005, Ben R. McRee wrote:

After a fews days and nights with my new setup, one of the challenges I've discovered is reading the filter settings on the dichroic head under safelight so that I can change contrast for burning in. With paper in the easel I obviously can't turn the room lights on or use the enlarger to illuminate them as I do when making the initial settings. So what do you do?

One of my sons is a pilot. In the pilot "gadget shop" at the airport I found a small flashlight (two AA batteries) that has a built-in red filter. This is for pilots to read charts etc, at night so as not to cause their eye pupils to stop down, as would happen with white light.

You pull the flashlight head out to select white light and push it back in to select red light. It's pretty cool and is a handy accessory in my darkroom. I use the white light to find things under my bench or sink, and red for finding things on my bench top or in drawers.

Actually, here it is:

http://tinyurl.com/cal7v

Jim