[pure-silver] Re: NC Film?

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 13:39:16 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ray Rogers" <earthsoda@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, June 11, 2008 12:22 AM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: NC Film?

Thanks for your responses...

I wonder if someone can turn up a characterstic curve for NC film?

It certainly developed contrast slower than verichrome, but the shadows (lower density areas)look foggier than those of verichrome.

Ray

Just how old are you Ray:-) AFAIK no Kodak NC film has been made for about seventy-five years. I am not sure what information I have on this stuff, maybe not much, but I will look. The rate at which film develops has certainly changed over the years but is also different from one film to another. Recommended times for film c.1940 to 1950 was maybe double what it is now, for instance 17 minutes in D-76 full strength. This may have been for a higher target contrast but I don't think so. The standards for paper grades, at least for Kodak products, seems to have been pretty stable for decades. It could well be that NC was foggier than modern films but I am rather skeptical of this. If you were using very old film I would not be surprized if it was foggy. Verichrome may have changed some during its manufacturing life. I am not sure when Kodak began making it but think it was about 1935, maybe a few years later. The film was discontinued and replaced by Verichrome Pan about 1958.

---