[pure-silver] Re: NC Film?

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 15:10:33 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ray Rogers" <earthsoda@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, June 10, 2008 9:58 AM
Subject: [pure-silver] NC Film?

Richard, anyone...

Do you recall a film called "NC"?

I thought it just meant 'non-curl' but perhaps there was another meaning.

I found a statement that it developed contrast differently than verichrome film and was wondering what it meant... if it meant it had a higher contrast or higher speed in the highlights.....

Ray

Kodak NC was the box camera film before Verichrome NC means Non Curling: the film was either the first or one of the first to have a gelatin back coating to counteract the shrinkage of the emulsion. I may have some data on NC film in a very old Kodak guide book, I'll look. NC film was made before there was any standardized speed rating method but the exposure guides for old film allow one to make a pretty good guess as to speed. Most of these old (1920s and early 1930s) films would be around ISO-25 by modern rating. I think NC was orthochromatic but it may have been color blind film or only slightly ortho. I also don't remember the exact date Verichrome came on the market but it had improved green sensitivity compared to previous orthochromatic films, hense the name. Pan films were available as early as 1900 but the early ones were not very good. The real impetus for good pan films came with the requirement of the motion picture industry for them when sound was introduced. Because the formerly used mercury arc and carbon arc lamps were too noisy for sound the industry had to switch to tungsten lights. These had lower overall output but also a different spectrum concentrated more toward the red end of the spectrum. The formerly used orthochromatic films were just too slow. Ortho films have an advantage for box cameras: their limited spectrum eliminates some of the bluring caused by the lack of chromatic correction of the lenses. It also allows processing under a deep red safelight. The first film I ever developed was Verichrome and was done in a tray under a "ruby lamp". I don't think Kodak ever published a time line for its films. There was a booklet listing the dates of introduction and discontinuance of roll film but that is not the same thing. Kodak also likes to recycle trade-names, for instance the use of Ektar, originally for its deluxe lenses, was reused for a color film. They also like the name Royal and the use of X in names. Some film names were reused for quite different films, Kodachrome and Kodacolor being examples.
   Enough, my carpal tunnel problem is bugging me.

---