[pure-silver] Re: "Leica Photography" Is Dead. Leica Killed It.

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2014 23:53:24 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jean-David Beyer" <jeandavid8@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, March 11, 2014 4:55 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: "Leica Photography" Is Dead. Leica Killed It.

On 03/11/2014 05:12 PM, bobkiss @caribsurf.com wrote:
Well I, for one have used Nikkor lenses and Leitz lenses side by side for decades and found that the Leica Sumicron 50 mm lens is amazingly sharp but it is more than that. Most people forget about low frequency MTF (or OTF if speaking only of the lens) which we mere mortals refer to as "contrast" of a lens. I shot the same film (first Tri-x then T-max 400) and developed the film from both cameras in the same developing line, often side by side in a basket. The tonal gradation from that Sumicron had subtlety and separation I have NEVER
seen with any of the 8 Nikkors I own.

A professional photographer I use to know normally photographed her personal work in black and white with a 35mm Leica. And she made her money shooting mostly advertising in color with a Nikon. But she ran a comparison because of the never-ending argument over which companies lenses were better, and she could not decide, not because they were so close, but because they were different. (I may get what follows
backwards, but you should get the idea.)

The Leica lenses had higher resolution (if you tested that), the the Nikon lenses looked sharper. She could not account for that, not being a lens designer. Someone else tested two lenses, one from Leica and another from Nikon. They had similar focal length and maximum aperture. It was quite clear what was going on, and also clear why this argument
will never be settled.

If you look at the modulation transfer function of the two lenses, they are quite different. The Nikon lens MTF and the Leica MTF lens both started (at the low spacial frequency end) about the same. As the spacial frequency went up, the Leica lens started gently falling, where the Nikon stayed high. At a somewhat higher spacial frequency, the height of the MTF of the Nikon came down quite sharply, where the Leica lens was still fairly nigh. In other words, Nikon traded off the high spacial frequency in order to get better results in the medium spacial frequency range. Perhaps this makes sense with 35 mm cameras because it makes the images look sharper. And Leica decided the other way. They traded off the MTF in the medium spacial frequency range in order to get some response at higher spacial frequencies. I wish I could find those
MTF curves.

Kenneth Meese showed similar curves in a couple of his early books. I think the photos were actually faked but the effect is certainly real. Lens designers can make certain compromises in their designs to balance higher order aberrations so that the MTF curve will vary in a certain way. It is quite possible to have one lens which appears visually very sharp but does not have the resolution of another lens that appears flat. There are other balances that designers make that affect the subtle character of a lens. So many think that a lens with maximum spacial frequency response (highest resolution of fine detail) is the superior one that its sometimes hard to convince them that it may not be for many applications.

Los Angeles
WB6KBL