[pure-silver] Re: Large camera plans

  • From: Laurence Cuffe <cuffe@xxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2006 07:19:08 -0800

There was a book out about ten years ago called build your own large format
camera in which you built a monorail based in large part on using a standard
tripod rail for the tricky bits.  I built a 5x7 very loosely based on this
which I enjoyed.  Another book which should make interesting reading is
"photographic cameras and Accessories" reprinted by Lindsay Publications, this
is a reprint of a 1901 classic and has a fair amount of plans including (not
that I would recommend going that route) plans for shutters.
It includes plans for studio and pocket cameras. Their website is
www.lindsaybks.com and the isbn is 1-55918-252-0
There is also info out on the web for a fixed focus light weight 8x10, the
"Hobo" which is I think also available in kit, and which looks like another
interesting solution to the portable largeformat landscape problem.  It would
probably be fun to adapt this to a fixed distance portrait camera and would
probably only take a couple of hours work to build if your handy with tools:-
which I'm not!
I hope some of this helps,
All the best
Larry Cuffe