[pure-silver] Re: KHCA Patent

  • From: `Richard Knoppow <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2021 22:14:05 -0800

   Please read the patent carefully. It explains why a sequestering agent is included. Also, it it appears to be the origin of the use of a selenium toner mixed in for image stabilization. I don't know of Kodak was making KRST at the time this patent was applied for, the toner used is mixed according to the formula included in the patent. It also acts as an anti-pluming agent. Pluming is the discoloration produced when some papers are dried at high heat. I have forgotten the details but believe that its caused by the production of extremely fine silver by the heat. I used a dryer at one time and remember seeing this very ugly discoloration.
   Note that the patent mentions that a neutral pH is especially useful. This is discussed in the technical paper describing the wash aid. By making the gelatin nearly neutral the mordanting action of the alum hardener is eliminated so it does not bind the thiosulfate ions. Also, because photographic gelatin has an isolectric point slightly on the acid side of neutral making it alkaline breaks the electrical bonding. When neutral the hardening action of the alum is retained. Very clever.

On 3/1/2021 9:14 PM, `Richard Knoppow wrote:

FWIW, this is the patent for Kodak Hypo Clearing Agent. The PDF is not too large so I thought I would post it instead of just the patent number.

--
Richard Knoppow
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx