[pure-silver] Re: High contrast printing?

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2009 17:37:28 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "richard lahrson" <gtripspud@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, July 19, 2009 2:23 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: High contrast printing?

Hi Richard! If anyone has a Photo-Lab-Index
or Agfa data sheets from the era, it'd be interesting to see a graph of the
curve.
Best, Rich

I think I have a Photo-Lab-Index of the right vintage but I don't remember it having curves in it, I'll have to look. I also have somewhere some Ansco and Agfa data booklets. I think they are in a file cabinet which is in storage right now. I am pretty sure those have curves. It seems to me that even Agfa variable contrast paper would reach higher contrast than others. I used it for rescuing very underexposed negatives at times. Not wonderful prints but would make a recognizable image where nothing else would. Its too bad that Agfa could not find someone to take over their photo products division. I think the problem with both Agfa and Kodak was that they were too big to shrink and still be at all efficient. The effect of digital technology on chemical photography reminds me a bit of the shift when diesel-electric locomotives supplanted steam c.1950. There were three large companies who made steam locomotives, none survived the changeover.