[pure-silver] Hardener for EFKE film processing???

  • From: Bogdan Karasek <BKarasek@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2013 19:42:49 -0500

Hello,

I'm getting ready to develop a dozen film holders of EFKE PL 25 4x5 (Pan and Ortho). I've developed it before in trays, using the Ansel Adams 5 neg shuffle. I was told that that EFKE films have a soft emulsion and are thus prone to having the emulsion scratched and damaged. It is recommended that one use a hardener in the processing sequence, something added to the STOP, I believe.

I will be developing in Rodinal 1:200, Kodak Stop, water, and 2 baths of pure hypo (S.thiosulphate). This time, I'll be using a Yankee Daylight Tank.

Any recommendations as to what kind of hardener I should use?

Any thoughts on the Yankee tank. I usually do small batches with the tray method and larger batches (8x10, 5x7) using tanks and the Kodak film holders for dipping the film.

I decided to Use the Yankee Daylight because I want to a still development (agitation for first 30 secs, then sit for 60 minutes ). This way, I won't be sitting in the dark for an hour , waiting.

Or will I get better results using the deep tanks and sit in the dark listening to Casals playing Bach's Cello Suites?

All suggestions, critiques, comments are welcome.

Cheers,
Bogdan