[pure-silver] Re: Hardener for EFKE film processing???

  • From: Bogdan Karasek <BKarasek@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2013 20:15:49 -0500

Then, I'll start wanting to rewatch Bergmann films, especially "Through a Glass Darkly" where I heard my first Bach Cello Suite, and I was hooked. The cinematography in that film is incredible. A Masterpiece of B+W. Wish I could do that with film and prints.

Bogdan

On 18/01/2013 7:58 PM, Bob Younger wrote:
You can't help but be better listening to Bach; having nothing to do with the film, of course.
Bob Younger

On Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 4:42 PM, Bogdan Karasek <BKarasek@xxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:BKarasek@xxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    Hello,

    I'm getting ready to develop a dozen film holders of EFKE PL 25
    4x5 (Pan and Ortho).  I've developed it before in trays, using the
    Ansel Adams 5 neg shuffle.  I was told that that EFKE films have a
    soft emulsion and are thus prone to having the emulsion scratched
    and damaged.  It is recommended that one use a hardener in the
    processing sequence, something added to the STOP, I believe.

    I will be developing in Rodinal 1:200,   Kodak Stop, water, and 2
    baths of pure hypo (S.thiosulphate).  This time, I'll be using a
    Yankee Daylight Tank.

    Any recommendations as to what kind of hardener I should use?

    Any thoughts on the Yankee tank.  I usually do small batches with
    the tray method and larger batches (8x10, 5x7) using tanks and the
    Kodak film holders for dipping the film.

    I decided to Use the Yankee Daylight because I want  to a still
    development (agitation for first 30 secs, then sit for 60 minutes
    ).    This way, I won't be sitting in the dark for an hour , waiting.

    Or will I get better results using the deep tanks and sit in the
    dark listening to Casals playing Bach's Cello Suites?

    All suggestions, critiques, comments are welcome.

    Cheers,
    Bogdan