[pure-silver] Re: Hardener for EFKE film processing???

  • From: Bogdan Karasek <BKarasek@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2013 21:09:16 -0500

Hi,

I found the Kodak site that lists the safelight filters and there is no #3. It has #1 and #2 (red and Dark red) indicated for ortho films.

Pyrocat-HD seems like a whole new ball game. I'll start with visual inspection first.

Thanks!

Bogdan
On 18/01/2013 8:15 PM, richard lahrson wrote:
Hi Bogdan,

      I use Rodinal at 1:50 for 35mm and 120, but for sheet film, 5x7
and 8x10, I use
Pyrocat-HD at dilution of 1:2:100.  Pyrocat-HD is a tanning developer.  The
tanning action also acts as a hardening agent.  I like to develop single sheets
in a tray and develop by inspection with a Kodak No. 3 safelight filter and 15
watt bulb.

                                                                       Best,
Rich

On Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 4:58 PM, Bob Younger <ryounger@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
You can't help but be better listening to Bach; having nothing to do with
the film, of course.
Bob Younger

On Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 4:42 PM, Bogdan Karasek <BKarasek@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
Hello,

I'm getting ready to develop a dozen film holders of EFKE PL 25 4x5 (Pan
and Ortho).  I've developed it before in trays, using the Ansel Adams 5 neg
shuffle.  I was told that that EFKE films have a soft emulsion and are thus
prone to having the emulsion scratched and damaged.  It is recommended that
one use a hardener in the processing sequence, something added to the STOP,
I believe.

I will be developing in Rodinal 1:200,   Kodak Stop, water, and 2 baths of
pure hypo (S.thiosulphate).  This time, I'll be using a Yankee Daylight
Tank.

Any recommendations as to what kind of hardener I should use?

Any thoughts on the Yankee tank.  I usually do small batches with the tray
method and larger batches (8x10, 5x7) using tanks and the Kodak film holders
for dipping the film.

I decided to Use the Yankee Daylight because I want  to a still
development (agitation for first 30 secs, then sit for 60 minutes ).    This
way, I won't be sitting in the dark for an hour , waiting.

Or will I get better results using the deep tanks and sit in the dark
listening to Casals playing Bach's Cello Suites?

All suggestions, critiques, comments are welcome.

Cheers,
Bogdan