[pure-silver] Re: Exulting XTOL

  • From: Dana Myers <dana.myers@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2009 09:32:22 -0800

Elias Roustom wrote:
Thanks all for all your help in getting me started with Kodak XTOL.

Now that I'm two rolls away from being out of Rollei Retro 400, I've finally found a developer that gives it wide latitude and lets me shoot it at full speed.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/elroustom/4225579072/
Excellent image.

I was immediately impressed with Xtol when it came out, and I've never
had the "Xtol sudden death syndrome" that was a well-known problem.
Kodak eventually blamed poor package integrity in the 1L packages and
discontinued them; I've always mixed Xtol from 5L packages with distilled
or deionized water.

My use of Xtol is generally 1+1 dilution and discard; I store the undiluted
developer in full brown glass bottles, and discard partial bottles after a month
or two.  I'm also inclined to do a clip test of exposed film if in doubt..

I find all of the Kodak films do very well in Xtol, as I found Agfa back
in the day.  Ilford, not so much, but perhaps I could have tuned better.

Cheers,
Dana