[pure-silver] Re: Denatured Alcohol For Film Drying?

  • From: `Richard Knoppow <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 1 May 2020 18:11:00 -0700

   The idea of the alcohol is it combines with the Photo-Flo to make a sort of super wetting agent. When used the combination prevents any water marks, streaking, etc. without having to squeegee the film.
   I would not use denatured alcohol. It is ethyl alcohol, which might work if pure, with a denaturant to make it underinkable. The denaturant is often a mixture of solvents including methyl alcohol (wood alcohol) acetone, etc. Works as a solvent except where the denatureant attacks something alcohol does not.
   Alcohol can sometimes be added when mixing chemicals to cause them to go into solution more rapidly.
   Again, I am not sure if Ethyl alcohol is OK here but can be found as Everclear Vodka. You must pay liquor tax on it but it may be available where isopropyl is not. Also works as a disinfectant.

On 5/1/2020 4:50 PM, Mark Sampson (Redacted sender msampson45 for DMARC) wrote:

I’d just leave the alcohol out and use distilled water and wetting agent. Are
you in a hurry to print? Or does someone need to use the bathroom where the
film is drying?
Mark S

Sent from my iPhone

On May 1, 2020, at 3:07 PM, Tim Daneliuk <tundra@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

It has long been my habit to add a small amount of 91% Isopropyl Alcohol
to my Photoflo solution to promote more rapid film drying.

With Isopropyl so hard to get right now, I can I use fuel grade Denatured
Alcohol instead, or will the denaturing agents cause damage or poor drying?

Richard Knoppow
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
WB6KBL