[pure-silver] Re: Denatured Alcohol For Film Drying?

  • From: `Richard Knoppow <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 1 May 2020 16:34:03 -0700

   A little more. The purity of isopropyl is really a matter of the amount of water in it. Alcohol will absorb moisture from the air until it reaches equilibrium at 91%. That is why 91% is the strongest you can buy off the shelf at the drug store. However, for some uses, such as cleaning film, even the small amount of moisture in it will cause streaking. 99+% can be found in stores that sell computer accessories. It comes in bottles and spray cans. I think the spray version is likely to stay drier than the bottled kind.
   Now I am seeing more of the original post. For adding to Photo-Flo one can use even 70% rubbing alcohol, provided its just alcohol and not the kind flavored with Wintergreen. This was recommended to me by a Phd chemist retired from Bell Labs. About one ounce to a quart, pardon me 30ml to a liter is about right. Use half the amount of Photo-Flo recommended. Soak the film in this for a minute or two and hang up to dry without squeegeeing. The excess water will run off without leaving drying marks.

On 5/1/2020 4:21 PM, `Richard Knoppow wrote:

Kodak recommends 99+ percent isopropyl alcohol for the _emulsion_ side of film but NOT the support side. It attacks the cellulose. The best cleaner ever was Trichlor but its an environmental no-no and difficult to obtain. I don't know what Kodak's current recommendations are but you might contact them. Likely different for motion pictures and still film.

On 5/1/2020 3:15 PM, Howard Efner wrote:
Tim et al., it all depends on what they used to denature the alcohol.  Methyl alcohol will not leave a residue but it makes the ethanol undrinkable.  Other things can be used such as aviation gasoline, naphthalene (leaves a residue), fusel oil (yetch!) etc., etc.

Howard Efner
73 de KF5RGU

On May 1, 2020, at 16:05, Tim Daneliuk <tundra@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

It has long been my habit to add a small amount of 91% Isopropyl Alcohol
to my Photoflo solution to promote more rapid film drying.

With Isopropyl so hard to get right now, I can I use fuel grade Denatured
Alcohol instead, or will the denaturing agents cause damage or poor drying?

Richard Knoppow
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
WB6KBL