[pure-silver] Re: Death Valley

  • From: Bogdan Karasek <bkarasek@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 00:06:42 -0400

Hi Bob,

I've been to the Anza Borrego Desert six times now in the past ten years. While my wife is otherwise occupied in San Diego, I go off to the desert. Stay at the motel in Borrego Springs. Love the place. , Salton sea, so desolate..... such beauty!

In Borego, I 've variously used Yashica-Mats and Pentacon-6s in 105-110°F. This time it's two Yaschica_Mats, one with Tri-X 220 and the other with APX 25 (yes, my frozen stash).

Thanks for the water reminder. Anza Borrego has primed me for this. If you're in the desert, or the Arctic, you adapt to your environnement and live. Be stupid and you die.

I'd go through my gal, 2, if I was doing any walking. But you're taking photos. You'r out in the heat and sun. Just keep drinking. I buy one of those cheap thick Styrofoam coolers and keep my film in there with that blue frozen stuff.

And, no, I'm not taking a computer.

I'm looking forward to this adventure. I'll be in Borrego Springs and San Diego in August.

Cheers,
Bogdan

Death W

Bob Younger wrote:

Bogdan,

You should have a unique experience with some unique photographs.
I say that because few if any of us who live around here in the
SW USA would venture into DV this time of year for love, money,
OR photographs (well, maybe love). I have “done time” in lesser
deserts under a darkcloth after sunrise, and it gets really hot
really fast. Certainly DON’T leave camera and film in the car as
temps will rise very quickly to lens-lube melting,
emulsion-toasting levels.
I think we’re all looking forward to hearing about your
experience when you get back to Canada (or while you’re there if
you’re taking a computer).
Have a wonderful time!! Be careful!! Drink water, and then drink
more water, and then....... Whatever, don't wait until you're
thirsty.
Bob Younger, San Diego County, California