[pure-silver] Re: Colour processing tubes for selenium toning

  • From: "Michael Healy" <emjayhealy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2004 11:56:44 -0700

I would think you'll be giving up an awful lot of control by not being able to
watch the
toning occur. Youdon't know say what your solution is. I toned a large series
of 16x20's
a couple years ago in 1:8, I think, and brother, did I go through toner. Like,
to the tune of
about 3-4 prints per batch of toner! In each fresh batch, the first print toned
quickly and
evenly; the last couple or three (if I could get that many) needed to be
watched and
toned for a longer period. In some batches, that last one would split tone
badly, and
need to be tossed. Certainly with 1:20, your batch life would be longer than
that, but still,
I just wonder whether you really would want to blindfold-tone a print for that
length of
time.

If you need to do that, and ridges in a drum pose a problem, you also could
make your
own drum from scratch. Get a strip of the black ABS tubing and a couple endcaps
from
Ace Hardware. You'll have to diddle with the endcaps to make them leakproof,
and you'll
need to sand out the inside of the tube, because it's rough in there. Not
difficult at all,
and very cheap. I use mine for film, but I've also developed 7x17 fiber prints
in one. The
only thing you'll need to do is make sure the inside diameter is greater than
the width of
your largest print.

One last trick with any tube, which I now remember I needed to employ with
fiber: mylar.
Cut sheets of mylar that are slightly wider and longer than your print. Slide
the print in
there with the mylar sheet between the print's back and the tubing. When the
time
comes to remove the print, all you need to do is grasp the edge of the mylar,
and gently
pull the mylar out of the tube. The print will come with it, undamaged.

Mike

On 21 Nov 2004 at 7:48, Sauerwald Mark wrote:

Greetings all

I am thinking of getting a processing drum - such as
the 'cibachrome colour processing drum' to use when I
am toning large prints - when I want to tone a 16x20
it requires a lot of working solution, and the fumes
are strong - I was thinking that by using one of these
drums I could get away with smaller amounts of
solution, and contain the fumes.  I'm sure that I am
not the first one to try this, so I am interested in
any comments that you might have - including what to
look for/avoid in these drums.

Thanks

Mark