[pure-silver] Re: Colour processing tubes for selenium toning

  • From: Nick Zentena <zentena@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2004 12:00:53 -0500

On November 21, 2004 10:48 am, Sauerwald Mark wrote:
> Greetings all
>
> I am thinking of getting a processing drum - such as
> the 'cibachrome colour processing drum' to use when I
> am toning large prints - when I want to tone a 16x20
> it requires a lot of working solution, and the fumes
> are strong - I was thinking that by using one of these
> drums I could get away with smaller amounts of
> solution, and contain the fumes.  I'm sure that I am
> not the first one to try this, so I am interested in
> any comments that you might have - including what to
> look for/avoid in these drums.

        I use colour drums for colour printing so can comment from that view
point.
The Jobo 2850 [the 16x20 drum] has a join in the middle between the tank and
the extension. It's really an 8x10 tank with an extension. The joint drives
me crazy when trying to slide 8x10 prints into the bottom section. I wouldn't
be surprised if the same issue happens with 16x20 prints. Other then that the
drums work great. Not very heavy on chemical use. They'll keep chemicals
warm. The only time fumes are an issue is when you pop the lid to pull the
print out. Even that can be dealt with if you wash in the drum after draining
the last chemical step.

        The other drum Jobo sells that can handle 16x20 is the 3063. A 20x24
drum.
I've added this to the bottom of the want list. It can handle 6 8x10s instead
of the 4 the 2850 handles. It's one piece so no joint to catch on. It'll
handle 20x24. OTOH it's twice the price of the smaller drum.

Nick