[pure-silver] Re: Buyer found for AGFA Photo

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 20:58:01 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "Peter Badcock" <peter.badcock@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, November 25, 2005 7:09 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] Buyer found for AGFA Photo

http://www.bjp-online.co.uk/public/showPage.html?page=305832

The subject line of this post is, perhaps, a bit overly hopeful. The story has the details. Unfortunately, the part of Agfa that makes paper and film is not part of this deal. It appears that what has been sold is the division that makes and services one-hour mini-labs. If I interpret the story correctly the chemicals that the new company will make will be those used by these machines rather than the comprehensive line of familiar Agfa stuff like Rodinal.
There is a hint that other parts of the company may also find buyers but it is hard to feel optimistic about this.
Evidently, the market for one-hour type processing remains healthy enough to attract investors. fuji is the other big operator in this business but has said in the past it had no interest in buying out Agfa.
One can hope only that the remaining market will be large enough to support Ilford and smaller companies like Efke, Berrger, Foma, etc.
We are loosing a hell of a lot of technological knowledge with the loss of Kodak and Agfa.

---