[pure-silver] Re: Built in Bias in Photography

  • From: `Richard Knoppow <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2019 01:26:57 -0700

Actually, I agree with you. I think the writer needed a subject and glomed on to a casual technical comment. In a way I am sorry I linked the article but I so seldom see commentary about the technical side of photography.
Flexichrome was bought by Kodak and promoted mostly for advertising illustration. Like modern digital image manipulation it had the capability of changing the colors in a photo almost at will. Do you want the model to have a red or blue dress? Well you can make it whatever you want.
   There is a very brief history at:
http://www.graphicsatlas.org/guidedtour/?process_id=346
Perhaps this is what you saw. There are many processes that depend on the differential hardening of a gelatin or other type of coating. Widely used in alternative processes like gum-bichromate and carbon printing. The gelatin takes up the dye or pigment in proportion to its thickness. The idea of Flexichrome is that the dyes would not wander so could be concentrated to show some detail. Kodak used to offer large sets of Flexichrome dyes which could also be used for retouching. Kodak also offered the dye transfer process for many years. A difficult to control process but capable of superb color.
I got interested in carbon a long time ago. Its practical for monochrome but the three color carbon requires even more control than dye transfer. Three color carbon was widely used for advertising illustration but was eventually replaced by dye transfer and Kodachrome. The color in carbon prints is a pigment so it is very long lasting.

On 4/28/2019 12:16 AM, Eric Nelson (Redacted sender emanmb for DMARC) wrote:

No I had never heard of flexichrome but googled it.  Looks interesting :)
https://www.etsy.com/listing/222329304/kodak-flexichrome-process-vintage-colors?show_sold_out_detail=1&frs=1

The point I was trying to make RE: the article was that the rendering of tones is just that.  It's a technical issue that was dealt with as it could be given the materials then as well as now.
The author is trying to manufacture a relationship between film manufacturing, sensors and her original topic where none exists.

--
Richard Knoppow
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx